Chicken Paillard with Red Leaf Lettuce, Sunchokes, & Rice Wine Vinaigrette
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 3 heads red leaf lettuce, outer leaves removed & washed
- 1 head radicchio, outer leaves removed & washed
- 3 yellow endive, outer leaves removed & cut into spears
- 1 qt sunchokes, cleaned & cut into ¼ in pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into ½ in pieces
- 1 pint English peas, shucked & blanched
- 2 naval oranges, peeled & cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp shallots, finely chopped
- ¼ c rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- ¾ c extra virgin olive oil
- Chicken paillard: Preheat your grill. Place one chicken breast on a sheet of plastic and cover with an additional piece of plastic. Using a heavy pot or a mallet, pound the chicken until flattened about ¼ inch thick. Repeat this process with the additional chicken breasts. Unwrap chicken and season lightly with salt, and drizzle with olive oil. Grill for 2 minutes, rotate 45° and cook 2 more minutes and then flip, close the lid and finishing cooking for 2-3 minutes. Remove chicken from the grill and set aside to rest. *chicken provided by True Grass Farms
- Salad dressing: Mix shallots and rice wine vinegar and allow to steep for 5 minutes. Add honey and extra virgin olive oil and mix to emulsify.
- Sunchokes: Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat saute pan over high heat with 3 Tbsp olive oil. Add sunchokes and place pan in the oven. Cook sunchokes for 10-15 minutes or until they are caramelized and becoming crispy. Remove from oven, place onto a plate lined with paper towels and season lightly with salt.
- English peas: Bring 1 qt water with ¼ tsp salt to a boil. Blanch peas for 30-45 seconds, drain water and cool peas in an ice bath.
- Assembly: Add red leaf lettuce, radicchio, and endive to a large bowl, add enough dressing to coat the leaves, and toss gently until the leaves are coated. Evenly distribute lettuce between 4 plates. Place sunchokes, asparagus, English peas and orange pieces to the bowl, add any remaining vinaigrette and toss everything together, evenly distribute the vegetables over the lettuce. Cut chicken paillard into 4-5 pieces and set into onto the plate with the salad.