Grilled Skirt Steak with Shiso Chimichurri
- 1 bunch red or green shiso, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar
- Pinch of ancho chili powder
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1.5 lbs whole skirt steak, trimmed (we used True Grass Farms)
- Salt and Pepper
- Mix together first six ingredients to make chimichurri and set aside for at least one hour.
- Light charcoal 30 minutes in advance to build a good coal bed.
- Place steak on a rack and season generously with salt on both sides. Move steak to grill over medium-high heat and leave untouched on first side for 3 minutes.
- Flip steak and cook on second side for 3-4 minutes, adjusting coals if heat seems too hot.
- Season steak with pepper as it is coming off the grill.
- Place steak in baking dish or other container and pour chimichurri over the top; allow to rest, uncovered for at least 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Reserve excess chimichurri for garnish.
- Place chimichurri-marinated steak back on the grill to reheat over medium-high heat for no more than one minute per side.
- Slice steak against the grain (going with the grain results in a steak that is tough).
- Place on a platter and spoon some of the extra chimichurri on top.