Meatballs with Tomato Sugo over Polenta
- 2 c breadcrumbs
- ¾ c whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 c yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Parmigiana-Reggiano for grating
- 2 c water
- ½ c polenta
- 1 c grated Pecorino Romano
- ¼ c unsalted butter
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- In a large bowl mix the egg, bread crumbs and milk and allow the bread to hydrate for 5 minutes.
- Add the meats, onion, oregano, parsley and salt and mix gently with your hands until completely combined.
- Refrigerate mixture, covered, for 1 hour. Portion the meatballs to 2-3 ounces.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and brown the meatballs on all sides over medium high heat.
- Deglaze the pan with the tomatoes, cooking over medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve 2-3 meatballs over a large scoop of polenta and cover with freshly grated parmigiana-reggiano.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat, turn down to medium and whisk in the polenta.
- Whisk until the mixture comes together (3-4 minutes).
- Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring regularly and adding 1 Tbsp of water if it becomes too thick.
- Remove from heat, add the butter, cheese and chives, and season with salt.